Google Translate

Wednesday, 22 August 2007

When did "lor" become so widely used?

I've noticed a growing phenomenon, especially in the office. A lot of people are using "lor" more often! It used to be that "lor" was used like "lah", i.e. a familiar Singlish way to end a sentence.

Not anymore. "Lor" is now used so often, especially in these two circumstances:

  • to point out the obvious, e.g. "The sun is bright lor!"
  • to emphasise exclamation, e.g. "This test is difficult lor!"
Singlish is going crazy lor! Everyone keeps saying "lor" lor! It's such that I can't pass a day without hearing "lor" at least five times from three different people lor! And it's not just the young but people in my age group are also using it, maybe because it sounds cute lor! I use "lah" quite often, but hope that I won't succumb to using "lor" so often lor!

--

No comments:

Post a Comment